Monday, February 25, 2013

Chicken Milanesa


When I first moved to my current home, about 20 years ago (wow...reality time check..ouch!) we had a great social atmosphere here.  Lots of parties, dancing, hanging out by the pool, just lots of activities going on.  One things that was always a plus at that time was that there is a local Mexican joint down the street.  You know, a hole in the wall type.  We have these little Mexican joints all over Los Angeles, some are good, some are so-so, and some...well let just say your wouldn't want to step inside.

The one down the street is pretty good.  Their food is fresh, inexpensive, and filling.  Plus it's in walking distance!  What's better than to grab your friends in the evening, especially when you don't want to cook, and go have some Mexican food and a beer.  Good times, and good friends.  One of my friends used to bring his son with us.  He was about 12 at the time.  I always thought it was so strange that he would order Chicken Milanesa and french fries.  I mean, we're in a Mexican restaurant right?  What about eating something that tastes like Mexican flavors, like a taco, or a burrito, or arroz con pollo?  But he continued to eat that same dish of breaded chicken and french fries over the years.

(hehe! my chicken is the shape of a lobster!)

One day I finally tried it and BAM, it hit me.  This chicken is really, really good!  The hint of the flavored bread crumbs, and the thin, thin chicken breasts that are pan fried and juicy.  But still I didn't eat it that often.

The other day something reminded me of that young boy and his breaded chicken and I decided to make Chicken Milanesa at home.  And I did.  What took me soooo long??? Man! This chicken really is the bomb!  Nice subtle flavors and crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.  Served with my Easy Mexican Rice, this dish is a winner (rice recipe will follow soon!)  All that I can say is that I'm a dork for waiting so long to make this.


Don't be like me....make yours tonight.  You'll thank me for it, as I thank that young boy for introducing me to a winning chicken dish, Mexican style!


Chicken Milanesa


serves 4

1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ t garlic powder
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼ “ thick
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
Canola oil

Beat the eggs in a shallow pan.  Place bread crumbs along with garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in another shallow pan, mixing to combine.  Dip chicken breasts into egg mixture on both sides. Dip into bread crumbs, and then set on a wire rack for a few minutes to allow the crumbs to set. 

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken breasts in the oil and cook 4-5 minutes per side, turning once until golden brown and cooked through.  Serve immediately.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...