Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Orange Nutmeg French Toast


Just coming back from a wonderful vacation made me want to try my hand at a breakfast with a citrus twist.

We had some terrific breakfast in Hawaii that you can read about here.  One thing MGG had that I just drooled over was french toast.  I love me some good french toast.  Even if you eat it in Hawaii there is something about the atmosphere that makes you feel outdoorsy, healthier and fit.  So I tell myself that if you eat this over there that you are not really being that bad.....you can work it off with a nice swim, kayaking, paddle boarding or snorkeling.  (Ha! Good justification right?)

One thing that scream tropics is all the fresh fruits.  So I wanted to bring that into the dish with the orange extract and the zest.  You can get the orange extract here.  this is a great items to have on hand for cake batters, muffins, etc.  Almost anything you would use vanilla for you can substitute this flavor....it's yummy.  To go along I wanted to bring a little warmth so I thought cinnamon was typical, so let's mix it up a little and use some fresh grated nutmeg.  Oh so good!


The rest is simple, and just like basic french toast.  I used a loaf of day old french bread, which had perfect texture to soak up the custard.  This dish was just perfect, and exactly what I was looking for.  An ode to our favorite breakfast restaurant in Hawaii!  Aloha!




Orange Nutmeg French Toast

Serves 4

2 eggs
½ cup fat-free milk
½ teaspoon orange extract
½ teaspoon orange zest
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
8 slices French bread
Powdered sugar, or maple syrup

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, orange extract, zest, and nutmeg. Whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.


Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides of the bread.  Place in hot skillet.  Cook on first side until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.  Flip and cook the other side another 3 minutes.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with warm syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...